Friday, June 24, 2011

KOW part 5

We entered the place through the back door. It seemed like the front because there was parking. We needed to get a couple of plates for when we were camping again. We broke the one and I cursed myself for not breaking down and getting some proper tin camping plates. My eyes focused ahead and saw the guy at the register at the other end of the store looking at us. I could tell he was wondering why we came in the back door. You saw a 70's issue of Rolling Stone and you were off. I walked to the front and said hi to the guy. "Sorry man, we thought it was the front door." "No problem man. Looking for any thing in particular?" Yeah, I need a couple of cheap plates and a sharp knife." "That stuff's out front. The plates I mean. I have a couple of killer knives. One is from a vet that was Green Beret, served in Nam." "Okay, I am going to go check out the plates. I don't need that kind of knife in my life anymore." " Sorry man, I thought you were cool." Really? My head was getting that clogged filter feeling again. My face must have said too much. As I went to walk by he snorted and said, "Yeah, man. Your so bad ass you don't need a knife. I get it." As I turned I had already grabbed a table lamp and was half way around to landing it when I had to stop because you had rushed up. "Patrick, Patrick, Patrickkkkk!" I froze when I saw your scared eyes. The lamp fell to the floor. "What the fuck man? Chill out!" You gripped my hand and looked into my eyes. I could not do harm in your presence. I pulled a twenty out of my pocket, tore it in half, and laid one half on the counter. "Yeah, I am going to chill out man. I am walking out front and getting what I came here for. If that does not cover it, come find me and I will give you the other half." I got us two plates a knife and a long walk around the shop to where the Jeep was. I was waiting for a door to rush open but we were able to back out and point west again.

No comments: