Monday, June 20, 2011

Kisses on the wind 3

I woke up with a jolt. My eyes focused on a ceiling and it took me a minute to realize where I was. So many nights in the tent and now I was in a bed. As the memories from last night started arranging themselves I felt my initial panic melt away. I could feel a ridiculous grin form on my face as I slid my hand to your side of the bed. The grin was lost quick when my hand found nothing more than sheets. I sat upright and looked over. You weren't there. I felt dizzy. I got up and saw your bag on a chair. I opened the door to the garage and the Jeep was still there. I went out the front door and was greeted by the dry heat. Shit! Where are you? I made my way around to the front of the motel and the owner came out and said good morning. "Morning", I replied though it could have been the afternoon for all I knew. My clock was out of whack and the bright Western sun was not helping. "You okay?" he asked. "Um, yeah. I guess. I don't know where the girl I came with is". "Oh, your girlfriend walked down the street about an hour ago". He then introduced himself and started asking about our trip and such but my mind was in a buzzing haze. My girlfriend? I knew that was not the case but felt good to hear it. I started to wonder if I was still asleep as I strained my eyes down the road in the direction he said you had gone. I knew I was not still asleep when I caught sight of that Tangerine summer dress of yours. It seemed like you were adding humidity to our dry surroundings as you strolled up that street. It appeared to me that there was a slight mist surrounding you. I stuttered something to the guy and started walking towards you. I must have still looked lost because as I neared you, you said, "What's wrong baby?". "Nothing. Just didn't hear you leave and....". You just smiled and handed me a take out cup of coffee. "Here babe. You were resting so easy and I thought you might need the extra rest and a bit of caffeine". You put your hand on me, leaned in and gave me a kiss on the cheek. "After all, you were a bit of an animal last night". You cracked yourself up while grabbing my hand and lead me back to the Blue Swallow. On the walk back the night replayed in my mind. My grin started creeping back in. By the time we passed the owner, my face was sore from the silly grin that was plastered on it. "Ha! You look better Patrick. Glad you found your girl!" My girl? Again my head was spinning. You just tightened your grip on my hand and pulled me into the room. It felt surreal as I watched your hips twitch underneath that Tangerine smock. The old GE black metal fan on the desk whirred away. I stood there stiff as I wondered what the next move was. As you went out the garage door I wondered if it was time to move on. You came back in and put Thunder Road on my portable. No. Not time to move on just yet. You let the Tangerine fall to the floor and I had no need for the silly cup in my hand. I put it down and realized I had the fever.

No comments: